Bandirma Ship is one of the important symbols of the establishment of the Republic of Turkey. The ship brought Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk and his fellow soldiers to Samsun on May 19, 1919 and mediated the beginning of the War of Independence.
The ship, which was built in 1878 in Glasgov under the name “Trocadero”, carried a cargo under the name Kymi. On December 12, 1891, the sinking ship was removed and repaired and floated again in the same year.
On October 28, 1910, when the name of the Administration became “Ottoman Navigation Administration” (Ottoman Maritime Administration), the name of the ship was changed to “Bandırma” and it was turned into a mail ferry.
Bandırma Ship continued its postal services after bringing Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk and his comrades to Samsun on May 19, 1919. Ship, 1924 “Turkey Seyrüsefa the Administration” has been left out by the service. The ship, which was sold to İlhami Söke in 1925, was dismantled in Haliç by the same person within 4 months. It was reconstructed with reference to the original drawings of the ship and was converted into a museum by Samsun Metropolitan Municipality, which took over the usage right and operation of the Bandırma Ferry on February 7, 2005, and was opened to visitors on May 19, 2006.
Adres / Address:
Belediye Evleri Mahallesi, 55080 Canik/Samsun
Telefon / Phone:
+90 362 238 00 23
Web Sitesi / Web Site: