In order to defend the city of Serhat, Kars, 46 bastions were built in the city center by the Ottoman Empire in the 18th and 19th centuries.
These were built to protect the eastern borders of the Empire from Russian and Iranian attacks.
Apart from its historical importance, the most bastions in our country are in Kars.
The bastions, which witnessed important wars in the defense of Kars against the invasion of the Russian armies in the 19th century, ensured the repelling of the Russian attack in 1828 and the victory of Kars in 1855. It was also used for defense purposes during the 1877-1878 Ottoman-Russian War. After the Kars Victory, also known as the Battle of the Bases, in 1855 against the Russians, Sultan Abdulmecit had 3000 Kars Medals made and sent to the city of Kars.
The Bloody Bastion building, on the other hand, was built in 1803 during the reign of Sultan Selim III under the name Yeni Tabya. Since all the soldiers in the bastion were martyred during a night raid during the Russian attacks on Kars in 1828, the name of this bastion was called Bloody Bastion.
The Bloody Bastion building was built to protect the city of Kars from the south facade. The bastion building has survived until today by preserving its architectural features.