Dolmabahçe Palace was built by Sultan Abdulmecid (1839-1861) who was the 31st Ottoman Sultan. The palace, whose construction commenced on June 13th, 1843, was brought into use on June 7th, 1856, upon completion of surrounding walls. The palace mainly consists of three parts, named as the Imperial Mabeyn (State Apartments), Muayede Hall (Ceremonial Hall) and the Imperial Harem.
Electricity, central heating system and telephone were installed in 1910-12 to the palace which is open to the contemporary technology. It has a usable floor area of 45,000 square meters, 285 rooms, 44 halls, 68 toilets and 6 turkish baths (hamams).
Dolmabahçe Palace hosted 6 sultans at intervals and also the last Ottoman Caliph Abdulmecid Efendi from 1856 until the abolition of the caliphate in 1924. The palace was used as Presidency office between 1927-1949. Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of Turkish Republic, stayed in Dolmabahçe Palace for his studies and also he used the Palace as a Presidential House and for his state guests between 1927-1938 and died in this palace. The Palace which was partially opened to protocol and visits between 1926-1984 and was opened to visit as a “museum-palace” from 1984.
Adres / Address:
Dolmabahçe Sarayı 34357 Beşiktaş / İSTANBUL
Telefon / Phone:
+90 212 236 90 00
Web Sitesi / Web Site: