kars kalesi

Kars Castle, Kars

Kars - Where to see Museums

The Central Castle is called the Inner Castle or the Stadel. Although some sources say that it was made by Saltuks in the 12th century, it goes back to 10th century. When it was repaired by Lala Mustafa Pasha in 1579, four corner marble inscriptions were found and placed on the door of the outer walls. According to this inscription, it was built by Vizier Firuz Akay in 1152 by the order of Sultan Melik Izzetin. Timur destroyed the castle in 1386, and Lala Mustafa Pasha had it rebuilt in 1579 on the order of Murat III.

After that, it was repaired twice in 1616 and 1636, and some works were added to the city center. According to the sources, outside the Central Fortress, the outer walls are 27,000 meters long and consist of 220 bastions. There are three important gates on the outer walls.

Adres / Address:
Kaleiçi, 36100 Merkez/Kars
Telefon / Phone:
+90 474 223 21 52
Web Sitesi / Web Site: